This page is for current DPD students – The internship is completed after completion of the DPD curriculum.
An approved dietetic internship is completed as part of the requirements towards becoming a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN). Upon satisfactory completion of the DPD curriculum, students earn a verification statement from the SDSU DPD Director. The verification statement is needed to apply for the internship.
Directions for Internships Participating in Centralized Application System (DICAS)
Most dietetic internship programs are now using the online centralized internship application (DICAS) for the computer matching system.
Each year there are numerous applicants with the SAME or SIMILAR names. D&D Digital Computer Matching no longer use SSN’s as a means of identification, so they are dependent upon the email address as a cross check. PLEASE use the SAME EMAIL throughout the entire process from applications to matching. Pick one email address, write it down, use it consistently and check it regularly. This email address is what D&D Digital and DI Directors use, if they need to contact you with a question.
- The DICAS portal is available in early December, for the Spring match and in May for the Fall match. The online application(s) must be completed no later than 11:59 p.m. Central Time on the due date. The fee to use DICAS is $45 for the first application submitted and $20 for each additional application.
- Include the name and contact information (specifically an email address) for each reference. This will trigger an email message requesting completion of a reference form. The form will be completed online. See ‘Asking for Recommendation Letters’ below.
- When prompted, upload to DICAS the DPD Course List that corresponds to your catalog year:
- For help with the DICAS system, email DICASinfo@DICAS.org.
2) Mail Transcripts
- Mail official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended:
DICAS Transcript Department PO Box 9118 Watertown, MA 02472
- Select dietetic internship priority choices by 11:59 p.m. central time on February 15. There is a $55.00 computer matching fee.
Forms for Internships Not Participating in DICAS
Not all programs use the below forms. Refer to the individual internship websites for procedures and forms unique to that program.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Internship Application Form (doc)
- Dietetics Internship Recommendation Form (doc) – See ‘Asking for Recommendation Letters’ below.
Asking for Recommendation Letters
- Spring 2019 Dietetics Internship Workshop Slides (pdf)
- DICAS Workshop Slides (pdf)
- Former Intern’s Tips for the Road to Becoming a Registered Dietitian (pdf)
- Finding Preceptors (pdf)
- Search for accredited dietetic internships
- Dietetic Internship Application and Matching Process
last updated: 5/24/2019