Mary F. Cave was born in Montana and raised in North Dakota. She graduated from the University of North Dakota and attended Bennington College School of Dance. She received her M.A. degree from San Diego State where she taught ballroom and modern dance for over 30 years, served as Department Chairperson of Women’s Physical Education (1965-69), and was Advisor/Sponsor to campus women student organizations.
Mary also taught golf and was the first Women’s Golf Coach at San Diego State. She was an advocate and volunteer for youth golf in San Diego. She was elected to the Women’s Golf Coaches Association Hall of Fame in 1987 and to the San Diego Junior Golf Association Hall of Fame in 2001. A golf event called “The Mary Cave Cup” was established in 2003.
Mary retired in 1977 as Emeritus Associate Professor of Physical Education and spent her retirement years in San Diego. Mary Cave passed away at age 97 in October 2008 in San Diego. The Mary F. Cave Scholarship established in her honor at San Diego State has been offered since 1998-99.
- The number of Scholarships awarded will be determined by the scholarship committee.
- The Mary Cave Scholarship has a value up to $500.
- Minimum Overall Cumulative GPA of 3.50.
- Open to upper division undergraduate majors (Junior or Senior) in the School of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences.
- The award may be renewed up to two additional years.
- The award is not renewed automatically. Prior recipients must reapply for consideration.
- Undergraduate students must be enrolled at least half-time.
- Pre-majors are not eligible.