• A bachelor’s degree and completion of the prerequisite courses below:
- General Chemistry (CHEM 100)*^
- Organic Chemistry (CHEM 130)*^
- Prerequisite: CHEM 100
- Biochemistry (CHEM 160)*^
- Prerequisite: CHEM 130
- General Biology + Lab (BIOL 100 & 100L)*^
- Microbiology (BIOL 211 & 211L) *^
- Prerequisite: BIOL 100, CHEM 100
- Human Physiology (BIOL 261 or 336)*^
- Prerequisite: BIOL 100
- Basic Nutrition (NUTR 201)*^
- Prerequisite: BIOL 100, CHEM 100
- Food Science + Lab (NUTR 205)^
- Prerequisite: CHEM 100, CHEM 130
- Advanced Nutrition (NUTR 302 & 302L)^
- Prerequisite: NUTR 201, BIOL 336, CHEM 160
- Statistics (e.g., PSY 280)*^
*Class must be completed prior to admission
^Students interested in the Didactic Program in Dietetics must complete ^ noted courses and a course in Anatomy (BIO 212) with a 3.1 GPA or better.
- A grade point average of 3.0 in the last 60 units of bachelor’s coursework.
The application period for Fall 2024 entry opens on October 1, 2023.
See information on application steps and deadlines below. Please also review the detailed steps to apply on SDSU’S Admissions website for Graduate Students. It is necessary to complete all of the steps in order to be considered for admissions.
1. Cal State Apply: Submit the Cal State Apply Online Application by December 1, 2023
- An application fee applies.
- Please carefully read the instructions and choose the degree program you plan to pursue. Once submitted, the application cannot be changed.
2. Create Your my.SDSU Account
- An SDSUid will be emailed to you within two weeks after Cal State Apply application submission, which allows tracking of application status online.
3. Submit Official Transcripts and Diploma/Degree Certificate to SDSU Graduate Admissions before December 15, 2023
- The GRE is not required and will not be evaluated.
- Electronic transcripts are accepted and preferable. If you are required to provide an email address for secure delivery, please use firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Paper copies of official transcripts can also be mailed to:SDSU Graduate Admissions
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-8225
*Note: if you are sending paper copies, please allow 4-5 weeks for processing. Transcripts not sent in on time will result in processing delays.
4. Submit Proof of English Proficiency (If required) before December 15, 2023
- All graduate applications applying from an international institution must submit one of the following as proof of English proficiency:
- Duolingo English Test
- Official transcripts received indicating English as the principal language of instruction.
International applicants: please refer to the International Admissions page for more information.
5. Interfolio: Submit Program Specific Documents to Interfolio by January 15, 2024
- Required Documents
- Statement of Purpose – Statements should be 1-2 pages in length describing applicant’s background, relevant experiences/accomplishments, research area(s) of interest and faculty member(s) with whom applicant is interested in working (if applicable), and career goals.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Prerequisite Grade Sheet (xlsx)
- Letters of Recommendation (2) from academic professors, advisers, or other professional references
- Unofficial transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- Optional Documents
- List of publications and/or grants
Review the Interfolio Graduate Application Guide for step-by-step instructions on how to navigate Interfolio.
6. Review Your Application Status
- Check your application and admission status periodically through my.SDSU.
- Allow at least three weeks for processing after documents have been submitted to SDSU. The status of documents and test scores will be updated in your my,SDSU account after they have been evaluated by the SDSU Graduate Admissions Office. Please do not submit your documents multiple times, as this will cause delays in processing.
- Applicants should be notified of admissions status from the department by the end of March/early April.
Graduate Teaching Associates and Graduate/Instructional Support Assistantships
- Please see the Graduate and Teaching Assistantships page.
Prospective Masters Students Frequently Asked Questions
- Please see the Prospective Masters Students FAQ.