Reet Ann (Nurmberg) Howell served on the Physical Education faculty as Assistant Professor at San Diego State from 1974 to 1978. Her husband was Maxwell Leo Howell who served as Dean of the SDSU College of Professional Studies (1972-76) and as Professor of Physical Education (1974-78). Reet and Maxwell Howell were both internationally recognized scholars on the history of sports and collaborated on numerous books and articles. Both became prominent in the international scene until Reet succumbed to cancer in 1993.
Tributes to Reet & Max Howell can be found on these internet links:
The Reet Howell Memorial Scholarship was created by her husband Maxwell Howell in December 1993. He stipulated that after his death (2014) the endowment would be re- named the Reet and Maxwell Howell Scholarship.
- The number of scholarships awarded will be determined by the scholarship committee.
- The Reet and Maxwell Howell Memorial Scholarship has a value up to $500.
- Minimum Overall Cumulative GPA of 3.50 and 18 graduate units must be completed.
- Open to graduating seniors who are pursuing graduate degrees in ENS the next academic year; also open to graduate students majoring in M.S Dual in Exercise Physiology and Nutritional Sciences and M.S. in Nutritional Sciences.
- Award may be renewed up to one additional year.
- Award is not renewed automatically. Prior recipients must reapply for consideration.
- Scholarship awards may be renewed.