Phone: (619) 594-4094
Office: ENS 302
Download CV (pdf)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Sensory Neuroscience, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University,
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Human Nutrition and Metabolism, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 2016
- PhD, Human Nutrition, University of Illinois, 2013
- MSc, Foods and Nutrition, Delhi University, 2005
- BSc, Foods and Nutrition, Delhi University, 2003
My research broadly aims to prevent obesity and related health conditions by promoting healthy eating behaviors through targeted modifications of the behavioral and chemosensory environment. Within this broad objective, my research is currently concentrated in two key areas. Firstly, I seek to understand the influence of individual-level factors (such as, sleep patterns, food cue exposure in the modern food environment, pre-existing diseases etc.) on our sense of smell/taste. By investigating these factors, my research aims to uncover valuable insights into the relationship between these influences and the development of unhealthy dietary patterns (e.g., selection of calorie-dense foods or large portion sizes). Secondly, I aim to identify how these contextual factors may be targeted and shaped using novel odor-based strategies to promote healthier eating behaviors, prevent obesity, and improve well-being in humans.
During the Spring 2020 COVID-19 surge, I initiated a new line of research on chemosensory loss and recovery following infection with SARS-CoV-2. I hold a leadership position on the Global Consortium for Chemosensory Research. Through this role, I am actively spearheading initiatives to elevate the importance of smell and taste on a global platform. By bringing together experts in the field, we aim to advance the understanding of chemosensory research and its implications for promoting healthy eating habits worldwide.
Areas of Specialization: Ingestive Behavior, Smell, Taste, Energy Balance, Obesity, Sleep, Diet Interventions
- For an up to date publications list see Google Scholar.
- The Global Consortium of Chemosensory Research (GCCR) – Leadership Committee Member
- BMC Nutrition Journal – Associate Editor
- The Obesity Society – Member
- The American Society for Nutrition – Member
- Association for Chemoreception Sciences – Member
- Cognitive Neuroscience Society – Member
- NUTR 304- Nutrition Throughout the Life Span
- NUTR 511- Nutrition Education and Counseling
- NUTR 610- Nutrition and Energy