Phone: (619) 594-1834
Office: ENS 306
Download CV (pdf)
- Ph.D., Purdue University, 1995, Foods and Nutrition
- M.S., Indiana University, 1991, Nutrition Science
- B.S., Indiana University, 1990, Nutrition Science
- American Dietetic Association
- Sports, Cardiovascular and Wellness Nutritionists (SCAN)
- Editor-in-Chief of SCAN’s PULSE
- Research Practice Group of the American Dietetic Association
- American College of Sports Medicine
- American Society for Nutrition
- San Diego State University Heart Institute
I have several areas of professional interest. I am particularly interested in the effects of diet and exercise on nutritional status (i.e., blood lipids, bone health and energy metabolism) as well as the effects of diet on exercise metabolism and performance. Lately, we have been working on several functional foods that may have influences on some of these issues. In particular, we have studied less refined sweeteners (e.g., honey, agave nectar, etc.) and oils (minimally refined soybean and corn oils) as well as foods such as dried plums, mushrooms, eggs, miracle fruit, pistachios, chocolate, pullulan and raisins and have dedicated much research to address the influences of L-alanine on exercise metabolism. Below are a few representative grants, publications, and presentations related to my research.
- For an up to date publications list see Google Scholar.