ATTENTION: There is a proposed modification to change the current DPT 8-semester curriculum model to a 9-semester curriculum model. Instead of the current August start, the proposed 9-semester curriculum model will start in mid/late May of 2018 and finish in early May 2020. Final approval of the model will be announced in September 2017.
- The application cycle for Fall 2018 program entry will open October 1, 2017.
- The deadline for submitting applications is December 15, 2017.
- The deadline for submitting official GRE scores and official transcripts to SDSU Graduate Admissions is January 12th, 2018.
- If proposed model is approved, Bachelor’s degree must be awarded prior to first year start in mid/late May of 2018.
- Baccalaureate degree must be from an accredited college or university.
- You may obtain your degree in any area of study so long as the minimum requirements needed to apply are met; however, a background of coursework in the natural sciences is strongly recommended. A background in exercise physiology, kinesiology, biomechanics or athletic training is also preferable.
- A minimum 3.00 cumulative grade point average (GPA) with at least a 3.00 GPA in all upper division and any graduate study combined.
Course prerequisites must be completed by the end of the spring semester (or quarter)** prior to commencing the program.
|Biological Science||two semesters/one year, each with lecture and laboratory||general and an upper level Biology||Introductory and upper level course such as embryology, developmental biology, histology, immunology, or microbiology are recommended. Exercise Physiology cannot be used to fulfill this requirement. Both the lower and upper level Biology need to have a lab. Online classes will not be accepted.|
|Anatomy/ Physiology||two semesters/one year, each with lecture and laboratory||human anatomy and physiology||The prerequisite courses used for the human anatomy and physiology requirements can not also be used for the general and upper level Biology course requirements. Exercise Physiology will not fulfill the physiology requirement. Combined courses are accepted, but you must take the complete series. (1&2) Online classes will not be accepted. Both courses and both labs must be completed within 5 years of application to DPT program.|
|Chemistry||two semesters/one year, each with lecture and laboratory||general chemistry||No introductory/survey classes will be accepted. Online classes will not be accepted.|
|Physics||two semesters/one year, each with lecture and laboratory||general physics||No introductory/survey classes will be accepted. Online classes will not be accepted.|
|Psychology||two courses||general psychology and upper-level psychology||Recommended upper level courses include abnormal, child development, or life span.|
|Statistics||one course||Recommended courses include biometry, biostatistics, quantitative analysis, research methods and design or hypothesis testing, general college statistics.|
|English writing||one course||English composition or an upper level writing course|
No more than two prerequisite courses can be taken during the spring semester (or quarter) prior to commencing the program. All prerequisite coursework must be completed with at least a “C”(2.0) letter grade and a GPA of at least 3.00.
- A minimum of 100 observation hours must be completed under the supervision of a licensed physical therapist.
- Observation in two or more different types of physical therapy settings (e.g. pediatric and orthopedic, rather than two different orthopedic settings) is highly recommended.
- While no direct verification will be required, the admissions committee may contact the supervisors to verify observation hours of applicants who are being strongly considered for being admitted to the program.
Technical Requirements for Admittance and Program Participation
Qualified applicants must also be able to meet the physical requirements of the program’s Technical Standards for Admission.
- Review the SDSU DPT Program Technical Standards for Admission (pdf) which applicants are expected to meet in order to participate in the DPT program and in professional practice.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Minimum combined Verbal and Quantitative score of 300, and minimum Analytical Writing score of 4.0.
- Only scores from previous 5 years will be valid. However, GRE scores used for a completed Master’s degree may be used. The GRE is not required for applicants with verified PhD degrees.
- Must be completed with scores available before the application deadline.
Letters of recommendation
- Three confidential letters of recommendation from professionals attesting to the ability, scholarship and aptitude of the candidate for a rigorous full-time DPT program. At least one letter must be from a licensed physical therapist with whom the applicant had a professional association thereby can appropriately evaluate the applicant’s potential as a student in the physical therapy program, and one letter must be from a professor for a course which the applicant completed. The third letter of recommendation must be from a licensed physical therapist or professor as described above.
last updated: 8/28/2017