Professor & Director, Doctor of Physical Therapy Program
Phone: (619) 594-3706
Office: ENS 141
Download CV (pdf)
- Ph.D., Epidemiology, University of Washington
- M.P.H., Health Promotion, San Diego State University
- B.S.P.T., Physical Therapy, University of Washington
- B.S., Health Sciences, University of Nevada
- DPT 830 – Cardiopulmonary Therapeutics Lecture & Laboratory
- DPT 822 – Interventions in Musculoskeletal Therapeutics
- DPT 889 – Doctoral Project
- DPT 895 – Doctoral Research
Research and Scholarship Interests (Funded Activity/Other Research and Scholarly Activity)
- Running Injuries (emphasis in high school populations)
- Female Athlete Triad (emphasis in high school populations)
- Sports Injury Epidemiology (emphasis in high school populations)
- Stress Fracture and TBI Injuries in U.S. Military Populations
- Rauh MJ, Barrack MT, Nichols JF. Associations between the female athlete triad and injury among high school runners. Intl J Sports Phys Ther 2014;9(6):948-958.
- Rauh MJ. Summer training factors and risk of musculoskeletal injury among high school cross-country runners.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2014;44(10):793-804.
- Rauh MJ, Koepsell TD, Rivara FP, Rice SG, Margherita AJ. Quadriceps angle and risk of injury among high school cross country runners.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2007;37(12):725-733.
- Plisky MS,Rauh MJ, Heiderscheit B, Underwood FB, Tank RT. An epidemiological investigation of medial tibial stress syndrome among high school cross country runners. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2007;37(2):40-47.
- Rauh MJ, Koepsell TD, Rivara FP, Margherita AJ, Rice SG. Epidemiology of musculoskeletal injuries among high school cross-country runners. Am J Epidemiol 2006;163(2):151-159.
- Rauh MJ, Margherita AJ, Koepsell TD, Rice SG, Rivara FP. High school cross country running injuries: A longitudinal study. Clin J Sports Med 2000;10(2):110-116.
Female Athlete Triad
- Barrack MT, Gibbs J, De Souza MJ, Williams N, Nichols J, Rauh MJ, Nattiv A.Bone stress injury and relationships between single and combined Female Athlete Triad risk factors. Am J Sports Med 2014;42(4):949-958.
- Thein-Nissenbaum JM, Rauh MJ, Carr KE, Loud KJ, McGuine TA. Associations between disordered eating, menstrual dysfunction and musculoskeletal injury among female high school athletes. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2011;41(2):60-69.
- Rauh MJ, Nichols JF, Barrack MT. Relationship between injury and disordered eating, menstrual irregularity, and low BMD among high school athletes. J Athl Train 2010;45(3):243-252.
- Nichols JF, Rauh MJ, Lawson M, Ji M, Barkai HS. Prevalence of the female athlete triad syndrome among high school athletes. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2006;160(2):137-142.
Sports Injury Epidemiology
- Beachy G, Rauh M. Middle school injuries: A 20-year multi-sport evaluation at Punahou school. J Athl Train2014;49(4):493-506.
- Paterno MV, Rauh MJ, Schmitt LC, Ford KR, Hewett TE. Incidence of second anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury 2 years after primary ACL reconstruction and return to sport. Am J Sports Med 2014;42(7):1567-1574.
- Paterno MV, Rauh MJ, Schmitt LC, Ford KR, Hewett TE. Incidence of contralateral and ipsilateral anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury after ACL reconstruction and return to sport. Clin J Sport Med 2012;22(2):116-121.
- Shanley E, Rauh MJ, Michener LA, Ellenbecker TS. Relationship between shoulder range of motion measures and shoulder and elbow injury among high school softball and baseball players. Am J Sports Med 2011;39(9):1997-2006.
- Myer GD, Ford KR, Barber-Foss KD, Goodman AG, Ceasar A, Rauh MJ, Divine JG, Hewett TE. The incidence and potential pathomechanics of patellofemoral pain in female athletes. Clin Biomech 2010;25(7):700-707.
- Rauh MJ, Macera CA, Ji M, Wiksten DL. Subsequent injury patterns in girls’ high school sports. J Athl Train 2007;42(4):486-494.
- Plisky PJ, Rauh MJ, Kaminski TW, Underwood FB. Star Excursion Balance Test as a predictor of lower extremity injury in boys and girls high school basketball players. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2006;36(12):911-919.
Stress Fracture and other U.S. Servicemember Injury
- Rauh MJ, Macera CA, Trone DW, Reis JP, Shaffer RA. Static anatomic measures predict selected lower extremity overuse injuries in female military recruits. Mil Med 2010;175(5):329-335.
- Rauh MJ, Macera CA, Trone DW, Shaffer RA, Brodine SK. Epidemiology of stress fracture and overuse injury in women recruits. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2006;38(9):1571-1577.
Honors and Awards
- 2014 Faculty Research Publication Award, California Physical Therapy Association.
- 2013 Faculty Research Publication Award, California Physical Therapy Association
- 2013 Excellence in Research Award, Sports Physical Therapy Section, American Physical Therapy Association
- 2011 Excellence in Education Award, Sports Physical Therapy Section, American Physical Therapy Association
- 2010 NCAA Research Award, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine.
- 2010 Excellence in Research Award, Sports Physical Therapy Section, American Physical Therapy Association
- Fellowship, American College of Sports Medicine