- Classes can be in progress at time of application but must be completed prior to start of Program.
- Prerequisite coursework must be completed with “C” or better.
- A grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 in the last 60 units of coursework.
- Course Descriptions for SDSU Courses
- Undergraduate degree earned at an institution accredited by a regional accrediting association
- A kinesiology or exercise science degree is recommended.
- Observation Hours (pdf)
- Verification of at least 100 total hours of observation under a Certified Athletic Trainer in two or more settings (e.g., university/college, high school, and/or clinic) within two years of the application date.
- CPR and First Aid Certification
- Current CPR as a Health Care Provider through the American Red Cross or as a Professional Rescuer through the American Red Cross. In addition, students must have first aid certification at the time of application.
- Technical Standards for Admission (pdf)
- All students applying for admission to MSAT must agree to meet specified mental, physical, and cross cultural communication abilities to meet standards of the program, or have approval for appropriate accommodation as outlined by the Student Ability Success Center (SASC).
Step 1 – Apply to SDSU
BY Dec. 15, 2022:
- Submit application via CalState Apply
BY Jan. 12, 2023:
Submit to Graduate Admissions Office:
Student Services West 100
5500 Campanile Dr.
San Diego, CA 92182-7455
- Official transcripts
- If a foreign applicant, submit TOFEL score or English Placement score (SDSU Institution Code- 4682)
Step 2 – Apply to MSAT
BY Jan. 12, 2023
Submit all components via ATCAS
- Supplemental application form;
- Prerequisite course checklist;
- Clinical observation hours form (pdf);
- Program disclosure form (pdf);
- Technical standards for admission (pdf);
- Professional Essay of 400-500 words including the student’s professional goals and reasons for selecting athletic training as a career and an understanding of the challenges facing the athletic training profession and willingness to work with diverse clients in a variety of athletic training settings;
- Curriculum vitae or resume;
- Video (2-3 minutes) explaining the student’s desire to be a certified athletic trainer and interest in the SDSU MSAT;
- Names and e-mail address of three references (at least one academic and one clinical) who will be invited to complete a recommendation for the applicant electronically.
Questions about the MSAT application process may be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about applying to SDSU may be directed to:
Prospective Student Center
San Diego State University
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-7455