- A bachelor’s degrees in foods and nutrition or related fields and satisfy the prerequisites of the courses selected. If students’ undergraduate preparation is deemed insufficient, students will be required to complete specified courses in addition to the minimum of 30 units required for the master’s degree in nutritional sciences:
- General Chemistry + Lab(CHEM 100)*^
- Organic Chemistry (CHEM 130)*^
- Biochemistry (CHEM 160)^
- General Biology + Lab (BIOL 100 & 100L)*^
- Microbiology (BIOL 211 & 211L)^
- Human Physiology (BIOL 261 or 336)*^
- Basic Nutrition (NUTR 201)*
- Food Science + Lab (NUTR 205)
- Advanced Nutrition (NUTR 302 & 302L)
- Statistics (e.g., PSY 280)*^
*Class must be completed prior to admission
^Students interested in the DPD program must complete ^ noted courses and a course in Anatomy (BIO 212) with a 3.6 GPA or better.
- A grade point average of 3.0 in the last 60 units of bachelor’s coursework.
- A minimum score of 475 (old GRE score) or 151 (new GRE score) on the verbal and 475 (old GRE score) or 142 (new GRE score) on the quantitative sections of the GRE General Aptitude Test. Please note the university requires that ALL sections (verbal, quantitative, analytical writing) of the GRE be completed.
- A minimum score of 80 on the TOEFL, if medium of instruction was in a language other than English.
The application period for Fall 2017 entry opens on October 1, 2016.
1. Submit the CSU Mentor Online Application by December 15, 2016
- An application fee applies.
- A SDSU “RED ID” number will be assigned which allows tracking of application status online.
- Once you have submitted your CSU Mentor application, a prompt will be given to continue on to SDSU Decision Desk.
2. Submit Official Test Scores and Official Transcripts to SDSU Graduate Admission by January 12, 2017
- Official GRE (and if applicable, TOEFL) test scores must be sent by ETS directly to SDSU (institution code 4682).
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended must be mailed to:
SDSU Graduate Admissions
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-7416
3. Submit the SDSU Decision Desk Online Application by January 12, 2017
- The application will ask that you upload:
- prerequisite grade sheet (.xlsx – download, complete, and upload to Decision Desk)
- unofficial copies of bachelor’s degree transcripts and any transcripts where relevant coursework was taken
- copies of GRE (and if applicable, TOEFL) test scores
- personal statement of your background, research interests/experiences, and professional goals
- optional materials, indicated via SDSU Decision Desk prompt (includes GA/TA application, publications, grants, and resume)
- names and email address of two references, who will be invited to complete a recommendation for the student electronically
Prospective Masters Students Frequently Asked Questions
- Please see the Prospective Masters Students FAQ.
last updated: 8/23/2016