The bachelor’s degree and all prerequisite course requirements must be completed by May 31 of the application year for admission to the DPT Program.
For the Fall 2013 application cycle all other application requirements are due December 15 with the exception of Graduate Admissions (transcripts) and GRE requirements which are due January 10. The application and fee will need to be submitted in CSU mentor by December 15th. Please note that the due dates are subject to change so please check the website frequently for the most current deadlines.
- Baccalaureate degree must be from an accredited college or university.
- You may obtain your degree in any area of study so long as the minimum requirements needed to apply are met; however, a background of coursework in the natural sciences is strongly recommended. A background in exercise physiology, kinesiology, biomechanics or athletic training is also preferable.
- A minimum 3.00 cumulative grade point average (GPA) with at least a 3.00 GPA in all upper division and any graduate study combined.
Course prerequisites must be completed by the end of the spring semester (or quarter) prior to commencing the program. These include:
|Biological Science||two courses or one year with lecture and laboratory||general and an upper level Biology||Introductory and upper level course such as embryology, developmental biology, histology, immunology, or microbiology are recommended. Exercise Physiology cannot be used to fulfill this requirement.|
|two courses or one year, each with lecture and laboratory||human anatomy and physiology||The prerequisite courses used for the human anatomy and physiology requirements can not also be used for the general and upper level Biology course requirements. Exercise Physiology will not fulfill the physiology requirement.|
|Chemistry||two courses or one year, each with lecture and laboratory||general chemistry||No introductory classes will be accepted|
|Physics||two courses/one year, each with lecture and laboratory||general physics||No introductory classes will be accepted|
|Psychology||two courses or one year||general psychology and upper-level psychology||Recommended upper level courses include abnormal, child development, or life span.|
|Statistics||one course||Recommended courses include biometry, biostatistics, quantitative analysis, research methods and design or hypothesis testing, general college statistics|
|English writing||one course||English composition or an upper level writing course|
No more than two prerequisite courses can be taken during the spring semester (or quarter) prior to commencing the program. All prerequisite coursework must be completed with at least a “C” letter grade and a GPA of at least 3.00.
- A minimum of 100 observation hours must be completed under the supervision of a licensed physical therapist
- Observation in two or more different types of physical therapy settings (e.g. pediatric and orthopedic, rather than two different orthopedic settings) is highly recommended.
- While no direct verification will be required, the admissions committee may contact the supervisors to verify observation hours of applicants who are being strongly considered for being admitted to the program.
Technical Requirements for Admittance and Program Participation
San Diego State University is dedicated to the quality of educational opportunity, and the creation and maintenance of a campus environment free of barriers that effectively discriminate against those with disabilities. Equality in access is achieved through reasonable classroom accommodations, and reasonable adaptation of examination and evaluation procedures. In the same vein, becoming a physical therapist requires the completion of a professional education program that is both intellectually and physically challenging. The candidate should be able to perform tasks in a reasonably independent manner. Reasonable accommodation does not mean that students with disabilities will be exempt from certain tasks. Qualified applicants must also be able to meet the physical requirements of the program’s Technical Requirements.
- SDSU DPT Program Technical Standards for Admission 083112 (pdf) which applicants are expected to meet in order to participate in the DPT program and professional practice.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- GRE scores prior to 09/2011: Minimum combined Verbal and Qualitative score of 1000, and minimum Analytical Writing score of 4.0; GRE scores after 09/2011: Minimum combined Verbal and Qualitative score of 300, and minimum Analytical Writing score of 4.0;
- Only scores from previous 5 years will be valid.
- Must be completed with scores available before the application deadline.
- Submit GRE scores to SDSU Graduate Division (use School Code:4682)
Letters of recommendation
- Three confidential letters of recommendation from professionals attesting to the ability, scholarship and aptitude of the candidate for a rigorous full-time DPT program. At least one letter must be from a licensed physical therapist with whom the applicant had a professional association thereby can appropriately evaluate the applicant’s potential as a student in the physical therapy program, and one letter must be from a professor for a course which the applicant completed. The third letter of recommendation must be from a licensed physical therapist or professor as described above.
To apply to the DPT program at San Diego State University, you must submit an application to San Diego State University as well as supplemental application materials directly to the DPT program. Applications to San Diego State University are due December 15th of the application year and the supplemental application materials to the DPT program must be received by December 15; application and supplemental materials received after these dates will not be considered for entry in that year’s DPT program. Please note that the due dates are subject to change each year so please check the website frequently for the most current deadlines. To receive consideration for entry into the DPT program, all steps of the application process must be completed.
1. First, apply for graduate admission to San Diego State University, which is made through CSU Mentor and must include a $55 application fee (due December 15th). All materials due to the graduate admissions(transcripts, GRE scores) must be received by January 10th. Students are strongly encouraged to apply and submit materials to CSU Mentor by December 15th.
2. After completing the online CSU Mentor application, submit the following to the San Diego State University Graduate Admissions:
- an official transcript from all U.S. postsecondary institutions attended
- GRE scores, forwarded from ETS (SDSU Institution Code 4682)
- students with international coursework must submit an evaluation report from International Education Research Foundation, Inc.
- if instruction was in a language other than English, submit TOEFL score from ETS (SDSU Institution Code 4682)
SDSU Graduate Admissions Enrollment Services
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-7416
3. In addition, you must submit additional application information and materials to the online DPT supplemental application website. Please note: If you filled out the application prior to 9/28/2012, your data has been lost and you will need to resubmit the application.
Download the four forms listed below and complete.
- SDSU DPT prereq course checklist 11 27 12 – Copy (*xlsx)
- DPT Applicant Volunteer and Work Experience (pdf)
- Letter of Recommendation (pdf – save three copies)
- DPT Program Disclosure Form (pdf)
Submit the DPT Prerequisite Course Checklist to the online website. Submit the three sealed letters of recommendation, DPT Applicant Volunteer and Work Experience form, DPT Program Disclosure form, and a resume (2-page maximum) in a single envelope to the DPT Admissions office. All supplemental materials must be received by December 15. Please note that the due dates are subject to change each year so please check the website frequently for the most current deadlines.
SDSU School of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-7251
last updated: 8/30/12
* download Excel viewer